Thursday, July 10, 2008

No class for you!

All I wanted was a Mommy and Me yoga class. Would've been fun. Get toned, meditate, bond with the baby, everybody's happy.  

The studio I go to even had such a class. At least until I got pregnant, and it disappeared. Typically perfect timing. But hey, I thought, plenty of gyms in the area, somewhere in this county is a class for baby and me. And there are, in fact, plenty such classes in the county. Just that they're all at 3 p.m. on a Thursday. Or 11:30 a.m. on a Tuesday. Kiddie classes keep banker's hours. Unfortunately, so do I.

Hey, I don't begrudge the SAHMs a chance to have some fun with their kids (or let their kids blow off steam while they relax, either way). If I were a SAHM I'd be looking for every excuse not to be AH, just for the sake of some sort of human contact. I just don't understand why these classes (and kiddie gym sessions, and storytime, etc.) can't once in a while be on a weekend. You know, so the working moms can also do fun bondy things with their kids, instead of feeling like even the local Y disapproves of their working.

What especially puzzles me is that I live in a New York commuter-heavy area, also home to some major pharmaceutical (and other) companies as well as some massively high taxes. All of which suggests there have to be plenty of other working parents out there, who would maybe like to take their kid to storytime on a Saturday or a Sunday. An underserved market, no?

If I'd kept working nights, of course, this wouldn't be an issue. But then I wouldn't be home to put the kid to bed. The tradeoffs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment