Monday, February 10, 2014

The winter of everyone's discontent

There cannot be more snow coming. Seriously. I am in denial because our patio set is caked in white and my poor garden gnome is buried up to the top of his hat and there is no more room for snow in these parts, so it's just going to have to go somewhere else because I said so. The kids had two snow days and a delayed opening last week. At this rate the school year will be extended until Aug. 30.

The best part about driving home from work in the snow? I mean, aside from the 5-mile-per-hour rate of speed. Definitely how you can't even see the lanes anymore and you keep behind whoever's in front of you because you figure they must be in a proper lane, and if they're not, there's two of you doing it so it's a lane now, right?

Punxsutawney Phil, you are not beloved in New Jersey this year. A certain restaurant in the area is jokingly advertising fried groundhog on their billboard. At least I think they're joking.

Spring will be a nice change of pace. Sunshine. Flowers. T-ball. Um.

Yes, we signed kiddo up for T-ball. I have expressed my reservations, though not in front of kiddo. Team sports are not recommended for ADHD kids -- they're likely to get sensory overload and shut down, or forget whatever it is they're supposed to be doing, or miss social cues from their teammates as well as signals from their coach, or overly freak out when they screw up, or any number of other things that would make them less than stellar team players. Every other family in our informal moms group has said they tried signing their son up for a team sport, and it was a disaster.

Individual sports, in which the child is basically competing against himself, is a better bet. Hence why kiddo takes karate. One of the other kids in our group fences. Swimming is also good (just ask Michael Phelps) and I would think track would be too (because running comes quite naturally to these kids).

Still. Our friend M. points out that this is the year to get kiddo started in baseball, if we're going to do it at all. And T-ball is very low-key. And DH, who knows something about baseball, would love to have some father-son bonding over pitches and catches.

So we signed kiddo up and maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he'll do great. DH says he has a nice even swing, and that's something that can't be taught. Maybe I'm just being Mommy Chicken Little here.

If he hates it, he can drop it. He'll have an out. And by extension, so will we.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there....I coached rec soccer two years ago. The kids were in 1st-2nd grade. One of my boys was ADHD. When he was on the field, he was all over the place, but once in goal, he was focused and determined. He also turned out to be one of the best goalies on the team. I think the fact that he had his own space, could watch everything around him and needed to focus on one thing: stop the ball from going into the net, kept him on his game. His dad told me he was the same in wrestling.

    I think anything is worth a shot and you never know, it could be successful.

    As for this snow....I love it, but seriously, we are in the middle of scheduling the 8th graders for next year. I would like to finish it up before June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you nailed it here -- if the kid has his own space and specific directions, he'll probably be OK. I don't know how that translates to T-ball but I guess we'll find out. So yeah, worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete